0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
Read testimonials from Wilmott Turner clients and find out what they thought of the service provided by our debt advisors
By Ken T
Hi James. I would like to thank you for all your help & what you done for me. I don’t have to pay anything towards my debts. I only had to pay my tax which is fnished this month. I like to ask if I can now get rid of all the paperwork. Ie for my car finance. I do hope that you & your family are well & safe in these uncertain times. I did have a look at my credit report what says very poor. I don’t mind to much as I can live with out credit. Well once again a big thanks for everything. All the best Ken
Hi Ken

It was a pleasure to assist you through the bankruptcy process.

Even though you are discharged, the record will remain on your credit file for 5 more years. There are certain things you can do it improve your credit rating, but it wont be 100% until the record comes off your file.

In regards to old paperwork such as vehicle finance agreements, you don't need to keep this. All unsecured creditors (or creditors who became unsecured) on the date of your bankruptcy are included. As such if an old creditor were to contact you in the future, all you need is a copy of your bankruptcy order and you will be covered.

That said, if you want to take a prudent approach, it does no harm to keep hold of old paperwork in case you want to refer back to it. I suggest holding on to it for 6 years from the day of your bankruptcy.