0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
This is the place to ask questions if you are already in a DMP
By Pingu
Hi. I am currently on a dmp with cccs now stepchange. I need to get a new car pretty sharp as mine is now beyond repair, is there any advice on this. I am currently paying c£1030 a month into my DMP.
User avatar
By Geraldine
Hi there Pingu and welcome to the forum.

The first rule with this is do not try to borrow more. The best thing to do would be to take a payment break from your DMP. If you do not make your payment for a couple of months you should be able to use this money to get a replacement car. If you need the car for work and thus to sustain your income your creditors should understand and be prepared to help in this way as long as your debt management company explains the situation to them. You need to have a chat to Step Change and see what they say.
User avatar
By Hayden
Hello Pingu

I agree with Geraldine. You should certainly avoid borrowing more say from a payday loan company. The best way to get a new car would be to stop paying your DMP for 2-3 months and use the money to buy the car. Obviously your creditors are not going to be happy about this. However if Step Change speak to them all and explain the situation normally they will be understanding. I would have thought that this would be the case considering the amount you are paying into your DMP.
By Pingu
Thanks guys. I spoke to Step Change and they are going to help me with a payment break. They say that as my car is vital to my job the creditors should be accommodating. Great service you are providing here. Keep up the good work :)
User avatar
By Geraldine
Good news Pingu. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how you get on.
User avatar
By Steve Jackson
Pleased to hear that you seem to be getting this sorted Pingu. Once you stop making your DMP payments, make sure you report any problems with your creditors to Step Change straight away. Good luck and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to come back to us.