0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
A good starting point for Debt relief Order Questions
By markessex1961
I have a DRO which has on it all of the council tax that i owe up to April 2013 this but the council say i still have to pay over 3 hundred pounds it but i have been told that if i do pay anything my DRO will be counselled is this right and what can i do about it please help :?: :?:
By Steve Jackson
Hi

Welcome to the forum. What does the £300 relate to? Is for the future council tax payments in this financial year?

Your DRO will have dealt with historical arrears but from this point forward you do need to pay your council tax, perhaps this amount is for the rest fo this tax year?

Can you confirm?

Steve
By markessex1961
The council tax every bit of it was added to the dro which i was told to do that about it and it seems that the local council thinks it can do what it like not sure what to do now
By Steve Jackson
Pass the problem to the Official Receiver that is handling your DRO. He/she should then contact the council to clear up the confusion.

Rgds
Steve
By Hayden
Hi there Mark

All council tax arrears you owe up to the date that your DRO was accepted are included. However future payments that become due are not. As such I if your DRO started on the 30th Nov 2012, you cannot include council tax payable for Dec 12 - April 13. I believe that this element of the years tax would still be payable.

However as Steve mentioned, the best thing to do would be to speak to the receiver who is responsible for your DRO (the person you have to speak to if your financial circumstances change while you are in your DRO). They will be able to clear the matter up for you.
By markessex1961
Hi this has been sorted out, first off the council admitted that they did not read the dro fully and sent the demand to pay some when they looked at it they realized it all was on the dro and has now been counseled out and i will start to pay council tax in April and thank you all for the great advise
By James Falla
Great news that this has been sorted out Mark.

Hayden's comment was not quite right. Because your council tax bill for the year 2012-13 was included in your DRO in full, you were not responsible for the element they billed you for to the end of the 2012-13 years (which actually finished at the end March 13. This was clearly a mistake on the Council's behalf which happily they have now admitted to and corrected

Good luck with the rest of your DRO and do not hesitate to come back to use if any other questions crop up :)

Oh and P.S. please remember to start paying your monthly Council Tax for the new year (2013-14) from the April this year when the first payment will be due.
By Hayden
Really pleased to hear that you managed to sort this issue out Mark. It just goes to show the power of this forum :)

Good luck with the remainder of your DRO :D
By Steve Jackson
Pleased to hear you have got this sorted and we were able to help mark :)