0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
This is the place to ask questions about Sequestration
By Chloe Bee
Hello. Can you help me. My income is low and I am struggling with debt and I think Sequestration is the right thing for me. However I am not sure if I should use LILA or the certificate of sequestration option. What is the difference?
By Geraldine
Hi there Chloe and welcome to the forum :)

As far as I am aware, there is no need for you to use the LILA application process any longer but rather you should use the Certificate for Sequestration route. I believe that both of these are very similar but LILA has a number of qualifying criteria which are not restricted with the Certificate for Sequestration. As such I think that is your best option.
By Hayden
Hi Chloe Bee

I think Geraldine is right, LILA has now largely been made redundant with the introduction of the Certificate for Sequestration. Ultimately I think both solutions cost the same £200 (the fee was increased in June this year) and there are more restrictions with LILA so the Certificate for Sequestration is probably your best bet.
Hello Chloe Bee

Both Hayden and Geraldine are correct. The introduction of the Certificate for Sequestration in November 2010 has now really replaced the need to use LILA.

LILA was originally introduced to help people on low incomes who needed to use the sequestration route but were prevented from doing so as court action had not been taken against them. Now anyone living in Scotland who feels that Sequestration is the right thing for them can choose this solution through the Certificate for Sequestration whether or not legal action has started against them.

Sequestration always costs £200 so the Certificate of Sequestration is now the route to follow.