0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
This is where to post your first questions about any debt problems you have
By cpharo36
Good Evening,

I received a letter today from a debt collection agency chasing a debt over 11 years old.

I applied for bankruptcy 10 or 11 years ago and I’m certain this debt was included in the bankruptcy.

I Informed the debt collection agency of this and They advised they need the bankruptcy number.

I advised I do not have this as I no longer have any of the bankruptcy paperwork as was so long ago.

I phoned Croydon County Court where the bankruptcy took place but they were no help.

Who will hold a record of the bankruptcy and where should I contact to get the number needed from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
User avatar
By Geraldine
Hi cpharo36

How are you. Did you submit your bankruptcy application that we were discussing previously? How did it go?

If you went bankrupt in the past there are a couple of ways you can find out the court reference number. You can contact the court where you went bankrupt (given it was 10 years ago you would have had to submit your application at the court).

The court may be able to provide you with the record. You can also apply for a certificate confirming your discharge. There is more information about how to do this in this article: "Confirm you are discharged from bankruptcy"

Alternatively there should be an archived record of your bankruptcy in "The Gazette" which is an official public record which holds records of (amongst other things) bankruptcy proceedings. If you just need the reference number this might be a good place to start.