0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
If you are struggling with your DMP get advice and help here
By Ghostface
Really can't figure out what to do...

Have a house under joint mortgage with ex girlfriend.not paying anything towards it anymore. Although still on mortgage. Can't get off for another 2 years.

Got into lots of debt by my standards and started a dmp.going well. Then decided I wanted a new start so have moved to holland. I've got a new job but the pay is less due to tax and euro.

I currently pay 300 a month in pounds. That's way too much on current wage. Want to drop it to 150 pounds. Don't want my ex to be in trouble with house, can they do anything? Like claim money from it or force a sale? If I a)drop payments or b)stop paying and just offer minimum payments I.e fiver each
User avatar
By Hayden
Hi there Ghostface. Welcome to the forum.

As far as I am aware, if you are paying regularly into a debt management plan, then it is unlikely that your creditors will take any further action against you.

One of the advantages of the DMP solution is that it is ment to be flexible. ie If you have a change in circumstances such as the move to Holland you have made, you should be able to reduce your payments. Are you working with a debt management company? If so you should explain your situation to them and ask them to help you manage the decrease.

Of course your creditors will not like it and they may start re-apply interest and charges to your accounts where this had previously been stopped. However, if payments continue they should take no further action.
User avatar
By James Falla
Hello Ghostface

Hayden is right, if you are paying regularly into a debt management plan, your creditors should take no further action against you. If you drop your payments to £150 a month because your circumstances have reasonably changed, you will probably get some hassle for a month or two but if you maintain the payments at the new level, this should calm down.

I would be more worried about reducing the payments right down to token level.
If your do this, your creditors could become a little more twitchy. It is possible that they will apply for county court judgements (CCJs) against you. This in itself is no reason to panic. However, if it happens, they will write to you at your correspondence address and it is vital that you or your debt management comapany respond by completing the admittance form confirming what you can pay.

If you do not, a CCJ could be issued demanding the immediate repayment of the debt in full. If you then do not pay, it would give the green light for the creditor to apply for a charging order against your property which would in effect secure the debt against the house thus reducing any equity in it and possibly making it more difficult to sell at a later date.
By Ghostface
Hey, thank you both.

One more question. Obviously, my credit is screwed-I'm happy with that because I can't get back to the way I was. Anyway, my ex has had trouble getting credit because of the address and association with me.

Is there anything I can do?

Plus, given that I come off mortgage in 2 years and I'm not paying towards it now, Is there a way I can take my name of deeds or something to relinquish ownership thus ensuring my ex is not affected. I really have hurt her before and all this feels like I'm pissing on her cuts.

User avatar
By Hayden
No problem Ghostface :)

If your ex is having trouble getting credit, it is possibly because some of your poor records are mixed up with her credit file. She should get a copy of her file and ask to have any of your records relating to you taken off. That should then do the trick. There is a good guide on how to do this in the Beat My Debt Toolbox: https://www.beatmydebt.com/self-help-ma ... -score.htm

As for taking your name off the deeds of the house, I think you might be able to do this. You should check it out with a solicitor. However, you would not be able to take you name off the mortgage until such time as your ex can re-mortgage in her name alone.