0800 077 6180
Calls from mobiles may be charged
If you are struggling with your DMP get advice and help here
By Pam Moore
I am in a debt management plan with Baines and Ernst but one of the creditors has passed my case to a bailiff. I give them my debt plan ref but they keep coming back. What can I do?
By Hayden
Hello Pam and welcome to the forum. This is an unfortunate situation. I have to say it is unusual for a creditor to use bailiffs if you are in a DMP and maintaining the payments. However it is possible as a DMP does not offer you any legal protection. Can you let us know how much debt you have in total and what you are paying into your DMP. We can then advise you on your options.
By Pam Moore
Hello Hayden, thanks for replying to me. I owe about £8000 and I am paying £90 into the DMP plan. Any advise you can help me with would be really great. The bailiff said they would come back over the weekend.....
By Geraldine
Hi Pam

Sorry to hear about your situation with the Bailiff. This really is very annoying and something that Baines & Ernst should have put a stop to for you.

If the DMP is not working for you have you considered a Debt Relief Order (DRO)? This is a more formal solution which most importantly would give you total protection from hassle for bailiffs. After 12 months your debts would be written off and you would be debt free.

The DRO is only for non homeowners though. Are you renting?
By Hayden
Hi Pam

Did the bailiff call again?

I agree with Geraldine, if you are renting then you will probably qualify for Debt Relief Order. Once in place you do not have to make any monthly payments (on the basis that you cannot really afford to do so) and also you get legal protection from your creditors so the actions from these Bailiffs have to stop.
By Steve Jackson
Hello Pam

I hope that the Bailiff did not come back. As Geraldine has said, if you are renting your property then you should consider the debt relief order option. This would prevent this kind of action being taken against you and you would be debt free in a year.
By Pam Moore
Hello everyone. Thought I would post an update on my situation. Luckily the bailiff has not called again yet but I am not leaving things to chance now. I am taking your advice and have spoken to Baines & Ernst about starting a DRO. I am renting so they said this is possible. I am a bit annoyed at them for not suggesting this to me before but in general I have found them pretty good otherwise.
By Geraldine
Glad the Bailiffs did not call again and you have made the decision to go ahead with the DRO Pam. It sounds like the right solution for you.