Problems getting a bank account after bankruptcy

A good starting point for bankruptcy questions

Problems getting a bank account after bankruptcy

Postby ZCar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi. I made myself bankrupt in Nov last year and am unable to open a bank account. I have tried Barclays but they said I have to be employed! My benefits are paid into my parents account! Am I able to open a basic bank account with some of these which advertise online for a monthly fee?
ZCar

Re: Problems getting a bank account after bankruptcy

Postby Geraldine » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Hello ZCar and welcome

That is intersting. I have not heard that Barclays would refuse to open an account on that basis before. Did you ask for the simple Cash Card account?

If you draw a blank with Barclays then yes, as a last resort you you could open a bank account with an organisation like you have described. Once you are discharged which will hopefully be November this year, you will then be able to close that account and open a one with many mainstream banks as you will no longer be bankrupt.

As such as a temporary measure if you really feel you need an account of your own, it might be a good idea.
Discharged from bankruptcy in 2010 and debt free. Thanks to all on this forum for your advice and support.
Geraldine
Forum Veteran

Postby Cara Church » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am

Hi ZCar, welcome to the forum.
It's strange that you haven't been able to open an account at Barclays, it may be worth revisiting and double checking that it was a Cash Card Account that you were trying to open. Failing that, you can either continue having your benefits paid into your parents account until you are discharged, or if you really do need an account in your own name, the accounts with monthly fees will be fine until you are discharged.

I hope this helps.

Cara
IVA professional working for Personal Insolvency Experts Liberta Financial in Newark-On-Trent, Notts.
Cara Church
BeatMyDebt.com Forum Expert

Postby Hayden » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

I agree with the other posters ZCar. I am surprised that Barclays would not help and I think it might be worth another try. Did you go into the branch in person?
IVA completed - July 2011
As a forum moderator I am here to help other forum members by sharing my experience of solving a debt problem and giving suggestions and advice where I can.
Hayden
Forum Moderator

Postby ZCar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks very much everyone.

After your advice I decided to go barclays again in person. I went this morning and they are opening an account for me. Great forum and great advice. Wish I had found you guys sooner :)
ZCar

Postby Hayden » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Great news ZCar. Really pleased that we have been able to help and you are now getting your new account open.
IVA completed - July 2011
As a forum moderator I am here to help other forum members by sharing my experience of solving a debt problem and giving suggestions and advice where I can.
Hayden
Forum Moderator

Postby James Falla » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Very pleased to hear that you have got this sorted ZCar. Good luck for the rest of your bankrutpcy and please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.
James Falla - Senior Debt Expert and Author
Contact me via private message or e-mail at james@beatmydebt.com
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DebtNewsUK
James Falla
BeatMyDebt.com Forum Expert

Postby Geraldine » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Well done ZCar. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions :)
Discharged from bankruptcy in 2010 and debt free. Thanks to all on this forum for your advice and support.
Geraldine
Forum Veteran

Return to General Bankruptcy Questions